Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Giving up a piece of self


I was 16 when I discovered gaming. I really can’t express to you how much it’s been a part of my life over the years. To say that it was the entirety of my social life for the greater portion of my adulthood, would be an exaggeration, but it would still FEEL like an understatement. I’m not really sure how I got there, but at parties, I’d wait until the party broke into some kind of game. I went to rpg’s at one point 4-5 nights a week. The other nights we’d play board games.

I went to conventions to game for days and days. I ran convention game rooms, locally and otherwise. And even to this day, I met nearly all my friends, even my non- gaming friends, through gaming. It’s how I met people, how I interacted with people, who I dealt with recreation, and it was my art. I sold board games for a small company for a while, did some freelance work for Chessex, and the Larp, oh the Larp was so pervasive in my life, that I literally had to make rules that people couldn’t talk about it around me unless it was prearranged, so I’d have some social time that wasn’t Larp related. It was everything. And I loved it.

And now for some apparently unrelated history. When I was in high school I met someone who was passionate about the calliope. He was the youngest professional calliope player in the US, and everything he did had to do with steamboats. He knew what he wanted to do with his life, his career and his art. He had one thing that overran everything else. I admired him greatly, and for many years, he was my best and dearest friend. His passion and love for steamboats music, and that painful yet beautiful loud music, were just a few of the things I loved about him.

Over the years, as these things go we did lose touch, and I have recently seen him online and learned that he kept that passion. I envy that. It seems so easy. It may not be true, he may have had doubts, but he always seemed to know he wanted to be a part of steamboats and callipopes. In some ways that part of his life seemed mapped out to me.

Despite what I say about gaming, I never totally felt that way about it. Even though I tried,  I never found a way to make it a carreer, and  I didn’t totally want to make it my life. It just became my life. I also wanted to take part in political activism, writing, comic collecting, making movies, film reviews, internet communities, polyamory activism, and participate in Unitarian Universalist conventions and committees. I did all of that, but gaming was always there, somewhere in the background. I’m 48 years old, and I still don’t know what I want to do when I grow up.

And I’m bored with gaming. Thing is, I’ve been bored with it for a long time. I’m not sure how long. I know my rpg campaigns that I’ve run have gotten shorter and shorter and shorter. It takes less and less time for to get bored with a character or a story. And for the first time, I find myself cancelling board games night to go hear music or visit art shows.  It’s holding less and less interest for me, and in some ways, that scares me.

It makes me feel great that I’m expanding my horizons. I feel like maybe now I can be a whole person. But now that I step away from it, I also recognize the obsession, and maybe I miss it. I don’t miss gaming exactly. I miss being obsessed with gaming. I miss the clarity of knowing how I wanted to spend my time. I’m more conflicted now, even more than before. I’m just not sure I want to spend all my time in rpgs and board games.

So last week I decided to stop running any rpg campaigns for at least a year, and it’s scary. Do I have a social life without gaming? Am I me?

I took a break not to long ago for a few weeks, knowing it wouldn’t last. Knowing I’d miss gaming before to long, and before that longing could completely take hold, I leaped back in. I wasn’t ready really. Maybe I needed more time. Maybe I’ll never be into it again. It’s almost like a part of me has died.

But it’s also very reassuring that there may be someone in there that’s been hiding in fantasy for over 30 years. I will still be doing some rpg, playing a character, but even that I’m drifting from.  Plus, I've always run the games, so this is a drastic new shift for me. I’ve barely taken weeks off in the last 30 years, and now I’m taking at least a year hiatus. Change is scary.

3 comments:

  1. Bạn đang tìm dịch vụ giao hàng? Bạn cần dịch vụ vận chuyển hàng hóa với giá cả phải chăng, đặc biệt phải giao hàng nhanh đến tay khách hàng của bạn. Đến với chúng tôi, với các dịch vụ vận chuyển phong phú đa dạng như: chuyển hàng đi miền tây, giao hàng nội thành tphcm, gửi hàng từ tphcm đi hà nội, gửi hàng đi bạc liêu, gửi đồ từ hà nội vào sài gòn, cho thuê kho quận 7 , ký gửi hàng hóa, dịch vụ giao hàng thu tiền hộ... Chúng tôi hiện đã phục vụ khắp 64 tỉnh thành. Khi bạn có nhu cầu cần vận chuyển hãy nhớ đến chúng tôi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. việc cần thiết là nên giữ vệ sinh cho bé cũng như sử dụng các dưỡng chất kem chống hăm penaten cho bé. Lựa chọn sữa tắm trẻ em penaten là quyết định đúng của mọi chị em phụ nữ. Ngoài việc giữ vệ sinh khô thoáng cho trẻ, bạn nên sử dụng đến phấn trị rôm sảy cho bé để tránh bị rôm sảy. Việc lựa chọnsữa dưỡng da cho bé sơ sinh là điều mà nhiều bà mẹ đâu đầu. dau massage penaten là sự lựa chọn hàng đầu cho các bà mẹ trên thế giới. Viên uống bổ sung swanson niacin là sự kết hợp độc đáo giữa Vitamin B3 và Niacin. kem trắng răng perl weiss được nghiên cứu bởi các chuyên gia hàng đầu của Đức về lĩnh vực chăm sóc răng miệng. dung dịch dưỡng da giúp giảm các dấu hiệu lão hóa. Dung dịch organic witch hazel của Mỹ chiết xuất 100% thành phần thảo dược tự nhiên được thu hoạch từ rừng ở New England

    ReplyDelete
  3. trẻ sơ sinh uống cam có được khôngTheo bác sĩ Nguyễn Minh Tiến - Phó trưởng khoa Hồi sức cấp cứu Bệnh viện Nhi đồng 1 TP.HCM, trước đây, bệnh viện cũng từng tiếp nhận trường hợp bị ngộ độc cam thảo. Phần lớn các bé nhập viện đều bị viêm phổi, gây khó thở tím tái, ảnh hưởng đến tim mạch… Dù chưa có hậu quả đáng tiếc xảy ra nhưng để điều trị cho bé trở lại bình thường, khỏe mạnh cũng tốn không ít thời gian và công sức. Đa phần các bà mẹ sử dụng những lát cam thảo bắc ngâm vào nước và cho con uống khi trẻ có dấu hiệu “lên đàm” hay “khó thở”. trẻ sơ sinh uống vitamin d bị táo bónếu bé uống vitamin tổng hợp, cần đảm bảo nó có ít nhất 400 IU vitamin D. Với trẻ sơ sinh, cả bú mẹ hay bú sữa công thức, Sữa rửa mặt Lucia bác sĩ nhi khoa có thể kê bổ sung vitamin D dạng lỏng. cho con bú nên ăn gìVì khi bạn cho bé bú, nhu cầu năng lượng và chất dinh dưỡng của cơ thể bạn cần nhiều hơn để giúp bé tăng trưởng và phát triển tốt, đảm bảo đầy đủ dưỡng chất bé sẽ nhận được thông qua sữa mẹ. kinh nghiệm chữa táo bón cho trẻ sơ sinhTrẻ bị táo bón khi có một số dấu hiệu sau: Giảm số lần đại tiện bình thường. Mỗi lần đi đại tiện rất khó khăn và có cảm giác đau. Chất thải rất cứng và khô… Thấy những biểu hiện này ở con bạn cần tìm hiểu nguyên nhân để tìm cách chữa trị cho trẻ. bé bị tiêu chảy nên ăn gìNên cho trẻ ăn thêm quả chín, hoặc nước quả chín: Chuối, cam, xoài, hồng xiêm để tăng lượng kali. lancome mousse douceur cleansing foam Táo ninh nhừ hay táo nướng sẽ giúp trẻ dễ tiêu hoá hơn.

    ReplyDelete